Sue Lau's Note:
This is a great soup. It uses fried onion flakes, which Bergy first told me about. You can find it in Asian markets; sometimes they have fried garlic- I'm sure that would work well also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 celery rib, finely sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed,pounded,and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- fried red onion flakes (for garnish; optional)
- lemon wedge (for garnish; optional)
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan; add shallots, garlic, ginger, and crushed red peppers and cook until it becomes aromatic.
- 2Add the carrots, zucchini, cabbage, and celery, stirring it up to coat veggies with spices.
- 3Add the stock, coconut milk, lemongrass and turmeric.
- 4Simmer soup, uncovered, on low heat, for 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- 5To serve, place a small handful of bean sprouts in the bottom of each bowl.
- 6Top bean sprouts with soup, and garnish with onion flakes, and serve with a squeeze of lemon wedge.
Browse Our Top Coconut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Coconut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.2
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 380.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: