Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from recipe in Super Food Ideas Magazine. This is very low fat as onions are sautéed in vegetable stock instead of olive oil.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 sweet potato, orange peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large carrot, and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, squashed
- 1 (400 g) can kidney beans, drained and washed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk, coconut flavour
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, and roughly chopped
- Heat stock and sauté onion, garlic & ginger for 5 minutes until soft; add cumin & cayenne, cook stirring for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add sweet potato, potato, carrots and celery with 1/4 cup more stock; reduce heat to medium low and cover and cook for 10 minutes, vegetables will still be firm.
- Increase heat, add zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, kidney beans and another 3/4 cup of stock, bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook a further 12-15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add coconut evaporated milk, reheat and serve in bowls with parsley.
Very good recipe. I made my own vegetable stock, I used onions, garlic, sweet potato, potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes and parsley all from my garden. This only cost a few dollars to make. Thanks for posting.
Loved this recipe. I made it mainly because I had all the ingredients on hand already without going shopping. It was delicious, more flavour than what I had expected and I made it exactly according to the instructions. This is definitely a keeper. I subscribe to SFI but had never seen this recipe before. Thanks for posting it.