Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from recipe in Super Food Ideas Magazine. This is very low fat as onions are sautéed in vegetable stock instead of olive oil.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 sweet potato, orange peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large carrot, and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, squashed
- 1 (400 g) can kidney beans, drained and washed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk, coconut flavour
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, and roughly chopped
- Heat stock and sauté onion, garlic & ginger for 5 minutes until soft; add cumin & cayenne, cook stirring for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add sweet potato, potato, carrots and celery with 1/4 cup more stock; reduce heat to medium low and cover and cook for 10 minutes, vegetables will still be firm.
- Increase heat, add zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, kidney beans and another 3/4 cup of stock, bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium, cover and cook a further 12-15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add coconut evaporated milk, reheat and serve in bowls with parsley.
Very good recipe. I made my own vegetable stock, I used onions, garlic, sweet potato, potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes and parsley all from my garden. This only cost a few dollars to make. Thanks for posting.
Loved this recipe. I made it mainly because I had all the ingredients on hand already without going shopping. It was delicious, more flavour than what I had expected and I made it exactly according to the instructions. This is definitely a keeper. I subscribe to SFI but had never seen this recipe before. Thanks for posting it.