Recipe by Ginny W.
From Bon Appetit 10/07: "A flavorful, colorful vegetarian stew that's as beautiful as it is easy to make. Rice or Savory Semolina (recipe follows) on the side makes the dish complete and soaks up all those flavors." Note: The Savory Semolina is a bit like very thick cream of wheat with peas and cashews. If you decide to serve rice instead, I recommend adding some chopped toasted cashews to the sauce.
- 73.94 ml clarified butter
- 12 white pearl onions, blanched 1 minute
- 10 fresh okra pods
- 6 indian eggplants (each about 3 inches long) or 4 Japanese eggplants, trimmed, each quartered lengthwise
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut on diagonal into 1/4 inch-thick ovals (about 10 ounces)
- 680.38 g tomatoes, cored and cubed
- 73.94 ml clarified butter
- 453.59 g white onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 12.32 ml chopped curry leaves (fresh or frozen, about 16 leaves)
- 7.39 ml black mustard seeds
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml fenugreek seeds
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 7.39-9.85 ml coarse kosher salt
- 828.06 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 59.14 ml fresh lime juice
SAVORY SEMOLINA (OPTIONAL)
- 946.36 ml water
- 9.85 ml coarse kosher salt
- 354.88 ml semolina flour (pasta flour) or 354.88 ml farina (suji or sooji, such as Rani or Ajika brands, about 9 ounces)
- 78.07 ml clarified butter
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 9.85 ml finely chopped curry leaves (fresh or frozen, about 12 leaves)
- 1 small serrano chili, minced
- 4.92 ml black mustard seeds
- 2.46 ml cumin seed
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 236.59 ml green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 118.29 ml chopped cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR VEGETABLES:.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add onions; saute until golden, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and saute until onions are just tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer onions to bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add okra; saute until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add okra to bowl with onions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplants; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute eggplants until brown on cut surfaces and just tender, about 6 minutes. Add eggplant to onions.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet. Add carrots. Saute until carrots begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and stir to blend. Add to vegetable mixture in bowl. Reserve skillet for sauce.
- FOR SAUCE:.
- Heat butter in reserved skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and saute until golden, about 14 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add ginger and garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add curry leaves, mustard seeds, turmeric, fenugreek and cayenne; saute 1 minute.
- Add vegetable mixture and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Add coconut milk and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Mix in lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer curry to bowl. Serve over basmati rice or Savory Semolina.
- Notes: Curry leaves are also known as kari patta. Curry leaves, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds are available at Indian markets.
- FOR SAVORY SEMOLINA (OPTIONAL):.
- Bring 4 cups water to boil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add Salt. Gradually whisk in semolina. Boil until thick, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, curry leaves, chile, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. Saute until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, peas and cashews. Saute mixture until cashews begin to color, about 2 minutes. Stir mixture into semolina. Season with salt and pepper. Rewarm, if necessary.