Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A variation on cinnamon rolls
For the rolls
- 3⁄4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
For the icing
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 -4 teaspoons cold buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the rolls: Preheat oven to 400
- In a food processor, add cottage cheese, sugar, buttermilk, 4 tablespoons melted butter and vanilla. Process until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse just until the dough clumps together - don't let it form a ball. Scoop the mixture onto a floured surface and knead a couple times to smooth it out.
- Roll the dough into a large 12" by 15" rectangle. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the dough with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter, leaving a 1/2" border on all sides.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon - scatter over the melted butter and gently press down to adhere. Sprinkle coconut over the sugar mixture.
- Carefully roll up the dough, starting at the long edge, in a jelly-roll fashion. Pinch seam to seal while leaving the ends open. Using a sharp knife or a piece of unflavored dental floss, cut roll into 12 equal portions. Place the rolls into a 9" x 9" baking pan coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake until golden brown and firm - about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Carefully invert the rolls onto a wire rack so the tops are still right-side-up.
- To make the icing: In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar, 3 teaspoons buttermilk and vanilla until smooth and icing has a thick, pour-able consistency. Add a touch of milk at a time until it gets to this consistency. Drizzle icing over the rolls.
Enjoyed them! Quick and easy! Have had this recipe marked for awhile and almost skipped it because I didn't have time for yeast rolls. These are actually biscuits formed and flavored to be a fast and delicious cinnamon roll. Coconut was a great addition. Thanks for sharing the recipe!