Mary in LA.'s Note:
My MOM RUTH use to make this cake all the time when I was a little girl. But I have added to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 3/4 salt
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 2/3 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
FLUFFY COCONUT FROSTING
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Coat 3 round cake pans (8 inch each) with the cooking spray, dust each with 1 tablespoon flour.
- 3Combine sifted flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- 4Then add sugar, butter and oil and beat for about 5 minutes.
- 5Add egg whites, one at a time and then combine the milk and yogurt.
- 6Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, stir in extracts.
- 7POUR cake batter into your prepared pans.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- 9Cool in pan for another 10 minutes.
- 10Remove from pans.
- 11Make sure cake is completely cooled.
- 12While cake is cooking make your coconut frosting.
- 13Add sugar, water, cream of tartar, sprinkle of salt and egg whites together.
- 14Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form on top of oven in a pan and candy thermometer registers 160.
- 15Add extracts and beat until blended.
- 16Put aside.
- 17LEMON FILLING: Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- 18Stir in water, orange juice, rind, lemon juice, and egg yolks.
- 19Bring it to a boil over medium to high heat.
- 20Cook until it thickens, stirring constantly so it won't burn.
- 21Remove from heat, Stir in vanilla.
- 22Cover and put it on cake after it gets cooled.
- 23Place 1 cake layer on a plate, that will be the bottom one.
- 24Spread a thin layer of lemon filling on top of cake.
- 25Put your second layer of cake on top of that.
- 26And then spread another thin layer of lemon filling on top of that.
- 27Then you put the last layer on top of the cake.
- 28Then you spread the coconut frosting on the very top of the cake.
- 29Spread the frosting on sides of the cake.
- 30Sprinkle top of cake the coconut flakes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Triple Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.9
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 34.5 mg
- Sodium 163.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 45.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: