Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
My MOM RUTH use to make this cake all the time when I was a little girl. But I have added to it.
- cooking spray
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 3⁄4 salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 2⁄3 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
FLUFFY COCONUT FROSTING
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat 3 round cake pans (8 inch each) with the cooking spray, dust each with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Combine sifted flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Then add sugar, butter and oil and beat for about 5 minutes.
- Add egg whites, one at a time and then combine the milk and yogurt.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, stir in extracts.
- POUR cake batter into your prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Make sure cake is completely cooled.
- While cake is cooking make your coconut frosting.
- Add sugar, water, cream of tartar, sprinkle of salt and egg whites together.
- Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form on top of oven in a pan and candy thermometer registers 160.
- Add extracts and beat until blended.
- Put aside.
- LEMON FILLING: Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Stir in water, orange juice, rind, lemon juice, and egg yolks.
- Bring it to a boil over medium to high heat.
- Cook until it thickens, stirring constantly so it won't burn.
- Remove from heat, Stir in vanilla.
- Cover and put it on cake after it gets cooled.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate, that will be the bottom one.
- Spread a thin layer of lemon filling on top of cake.
- Put your second layer of cake on top of that.
- And then spread another thin layer of lemon filling on top of that.
- Then you put the last layer on top of the cake.
- Then you spread the coconut frosting on the very top of the cake.
- Spread the frosting on sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle top of cake the coconut flakes.