Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These little oven baked coconut balls are just a treat. I found the original recipe on the back of a bag of organic, unsweetened grated coconut, but I have modified it with added sweetness and flavor. A batch turns out about 28 cookies. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup of grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel or 1 tablespoon orange peel or 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Set the oven at 350 F, and prepare a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Melt the butter before adding the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix well. Add the flour and mix well again before adding the grated coconut and flavoring of choice.
- Hand roll about 28 little balls individually which you place 2" apart on the lines cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes in the upper half of the oven. It is important that the cookies do not over bake, or they will turn out too crumbly and dry. Even though they may seem soft when you take them out, they will harden as they cool down.
I added powdered sugar atop which really gave it that look it was missing. I am personally not much of a coconut fan, but I made these for my brother. I tried one and thought they tasted fine though. I would recommend a bit more powdered sugar inside the cookie also.