Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have not tried this recipe. The recipe came from a old Maxwell House label.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 cups unsifted Swans Down cake flour
- 1 cup baker's angel flake coconut
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds (optional)
- jam or preserves
- Cream butter with salt. Gradually beat in sugar. Blend in almond extract. Add flour, a small amount at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in coconut and almonds.
- Chill dough.
- Shape into walnut size balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325 for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven; make depression in center of each ball with thumb or measuring spoon. Return to oven; bake 12-15 minutes longer, or just until lightly browned.
- Cool on sheets; fill each cookie with 1 teaspoon jam. Sprinkle with additional coconut, if desired.
I am so happy! This is my favorite Christmas cookie recipe. My Mom had the original off the Maxwell House coffee can and had made it for years. After she passed away, I have continued the tradition. Unfortunately I misplaced my recipe after last Christmas and have been searching with no luck. I am so happy to have found it here so I can continue the tradition. It is an excellent recipe! Buttery, crisp, and delicious. Because of the jam, the cookie softens over time, but it is still delicious. I use strawberry or raspberry jam. I add a couple of extra tablespoons of flour to the dough. Once the cookies are formed on the sheet, I chill the dough a few minutes. This helps with the flattening.
Overall a good recipe. Cookies came out a bit flat and a bit sweet but the tartness of the strawberry preserves I used helped cut that. Cookies made my house smell good though. :)