This is a slightly spicey, slightly sweet combination of flavors that is sure to suit the pickiest of eaters. Adjust the cayenne to suit your personal taste.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 2 limes, juice and zest of, grated (1/3 cup lime juice)
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 cups converted white rice
- 1 lb peeled and deveined cooked jumbo shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 2 ounces snow peas, cut into thin strips
- toasted coconut, for garnish
- Mix chicken broth, water, coriander, cumin, salt, cayenne, lime zest, lime juice, garlic and ginger in crock pot.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper, carrot, coconut, raisins and rice.
- Cover and cook on low setting 3 1/2 hours, or until rice is just tender.
- Stir in the shrimp and snow peas.
- Cover and cook another 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with toasted coconut.