Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My friend's Greek neighbor gave this recipe to her. I tried this cake and had to ask her for the recipe, so here it is.
- 500 g coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- Melt milk and butter together in a saucepan over low heat.
- In a bowl mix in sugar and eggs, baking powder, and milk mixture.
- Mix in coconut and flour until thick and creamy.
- Transfer mixture into a greased rectangular tray about 5 cm deep.
- Bake at 180°C for about 40 minutes.
- Timings may vary.
- Cut into square slices whilst still in tray and pour over syrup.
- SYRUP--Boil for approximately 20 minutes and pour on top of cake while still hot.
- Let the cake sit until cooled before eating.
- Cake may appear as though it is over saturated but this is the way the cake is meant to be.
- When cake is cooled the syrup becomes absorbed by the cake.
It didn't turn out as I had expected. The cake mixture was fluffy and I wasn't able to pour it into the tin. I'm not sure what went wrong.