Prep 10 mins
Cook 43 mins
A nice sticky cake for tea.
- 125 g butter
- 250 ml caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 500 ml coconut
- 250 ml self-raising flour
- 250 ml sugar
- 187 ml water
- 6 slices fresh lemon rind
- Grease a 20 cm pan, line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Using a beater, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in coconut, sifted flour.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven of 180°C for 30-40 minutes.
- Pour hot syrup over cake, cool in pan.
- Lemon syrup: Combine all ingredients in saucepan, stir over low heat without boiling until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Strain syrup.