1/3 Photos of Coconut Sour Cream Cake
Seasoned Cook's Note:
VERY MOIST!!! Calling all coconut cake lovers! This one is for you! The secret to this cake is the use of frozen coconut (because of its wetness), the blend of sour cream and the required refrigeration time. Also, the use of the 'real butter' yellow cake mix, not a white cake mix. A true winner for flavor and moistness. My granddaughter requested a coconut cake for her birthday. I remembered that this was the popular recipe my mother used in the 1960s for her coconut cake. To get the best flavor it is required to let the cake "mellow" in the refrigerator at least a day before cutting and the longer, the better it gets. Therefore, patience is required. It has been known to be called "The 3 Day Coconut Cake". May be kept refrigerated up to one week. I normally use 2 square 8x8 cake pans for prettier slices and trim the brown off of the outer cake edges after cooling. Makes a great presentation for a birthday cake celebration. Time stated for recipe does not include refrigeration time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Approximately 8 hours prior to making cake, combine sour cream, thawed coconut and sugar. Refrigerate 8 hours and let flavors blend.
- 2Mix cake mix, butter, eggs and water per instructions on box and pour batter into two 8" greased baking cake pans. Bake as per instructions and allow to cool. Cut cake layers in half making a total of four layers. (I have found that using dental floss cuts a layer nicely into halves. I also trim the brown off of the outer cake edges.).
- 3Frost with sour cream mixture and stack layers. Spread cool whip evenly on outer cake edges and on top. Sprinkle top with coconut flakes.
- 4Keep refrigerated at least one day before cutting cake. Better if you can wait two or three days, but it's very hard to do that!
- 5Enjoy this very moist cake!
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Sour Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.3
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 109.9 mg
- Sodium 462.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 49.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: