Recipe by Ed&Theresa
Posted for ZWT#3 From Caribbean Cooking
Top Review by A Good Thing
Quite a nice soup here! Everyone enjoyed it. I didn't have time to make a chicken stock so used powdered stock, instead. However, I would not do so again. This soup really needs homemade stock (or at least good canned stock). If you must use the powdered stuff, you may want to cut back on the amount you use as we found the chicken flavor a bit overpowering and the coconut really wants to come through here. Will be making again for sure! Made for PAC.
- 8 ounces grated coconut
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine coconut and chicken stock in a heavy saucepan.
- Cover and cook on simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve.
- Discard the coconut after pressing down to extract all liquid.
- Cream the the flour and butter together and stir into stock with the heavy cream, stirring over low heat, until soup is. thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.