Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
cookies that are pretty and flavorful for Christmas
- 1 (16 1/2 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coconut extract
GLAZE AND PIPING
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- fine white decorator sugar
- heat oven to 350.
- on a well-floured surface, knead together the cookie dough, flour, cornstarch and 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract.
- roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- place on a baking sheet and refreigerate for 15 minutes.
- remove chilled dough from baking sheet and remove the top piece of waxed paper.
- cut into snowflakes using a 4-inch cookie cutter.
- place snowflakes on an ungreased cookie sheet, rerolling scraps and cutting them into additional snowflakes.
- if dough becomes too soft, refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- bake for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and set.
- cool on baking sheet for 1 minute.
- remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- GLAZE: in a bowl, mix 1 cup confectioners' sugar, milk and extract until smooth, spreading consistency.
- spread 1 teaspoon glaze on each cookie; let dry.
- PIPING: in a bowl, mix remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 3 teaspoons water.
- stir until smooth.
- place in a pastry bag fitted with a small writing tip.
- decorate snowflakes in various patterns.
- sprinkle each with about 1/4 teaspoon of decorating sugar.
- shake off excess sugar and let dry.