Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A friend made these for a bridal shower and they were terrific. She trimmed up cupcakes so they would all be uniform before she topped with whipped cream and coconut. Very impressive. Uses cupcakes from Buttermilk Cupcakes. Prep time does not include time to make cupcakes or cooking and cooling time for lemon filling. I would do those the day before and save assembly for last minute.
- 18 cupcakes
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks and sweetened with
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- To make filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-size saucepan and stir until well blended.
- Gradually add the water, stirring constantly until well blended.
- Stir in egg yolks, lemon rind, and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking another minute after it boils, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and add butter, stirring until well blended.
- Let filling cool completely and then refrigerate until completely chilled.
- To assemble Snowballs: Remove paper and carefully split each cupcake across middle.
- Scoop out a spoonful from both top and bottom.
- Fill each half with a spoonful of lemon filling.
- Place halves together and put on individual plates.
- Spread whipped cream all over cupcake and press coconut into whipped cream.
- Will keep a short time refrigerated, but plan to serve fairly soon after assembling.