Recipe by dale!
Yummy slice. I always eat some while it's still warm. This is a favourite at my place and I want some right now!
Top Review by Evie*
Worth waiting for Dale! and a little different than my coconut slice recipe. This is one of my favourite combinations, love the meringue type topping. My sister (in Canada) loves my coconut slice recipe and now Im going to send her this one. Thanks for posting.
- 80 g unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 eggs, separated plus leftover egg white from base
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam or 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
- 1 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together and then add the egg yolk, rind, flour and cornflour.
- Knead mixture until it all comes together.
- Press into a greased slice tin (16cm x 26cm) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take it out and increase oven temp to 210 degrees C.
- Beat all four egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually beat in the sugar and fold in the egg yolks and coconut.
- Spread the base with jam and top with coconut topping mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes more.
- Cut into squares or bars to serve.