Recipe by MarraMamba
a yummy caribbean coconut shrim with a special tamarind sauce. It says concentrate, but tamarind paste works fine, can be found in caribbean or asian markets.
Top Review by BethR
Made these the other night for an Around the World New Year's Eve party. They were a hit! I put together the sauce ahead and the batter, fried the shrimp right before serving. I could not find tamarind at my grocery, I used tumeric instead and it was still delicious! Will make again - I am not even a coconut fan!!
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mild honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sweetened flaked coconut (10 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup beer (not dark)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large egg
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 48 medium shrimp, peeled, leaving tail and first segment of shell intact, and, if desired, deveined (1 1/2 pound)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sauce:.
- Whisk tamarind concentrate into lime juice in a small bowl until dissolved. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients and chill, covered.
- Prepare shrimp:.
- Coarsely chop coconut and transfer half to a shallow soup bowl or pie plate.
- Whisk together flour, beer, baking soda, salt, cayenne, and egg in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat oil in a 4- to 6-quart deep heavy pot over moderately high heat until it registers 350°F on thermometer.
- While oil is heating, coat shrimp:.
- Hold 1 shrimp by tail and dip into batter, letting excess drip off, then dredge in coconut, coating completely and pressing gently to help adhere. Transfer to a plate and coat remaining shrimp in same manner, adding remaining coconut to bowl as needed.
- Fry shrimp in oil in batches of 8, turning once, until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and season lightly with salt. Skim any coconut from oil and return oil to 350°F between batches.
- Serve shrimp with sauce.