Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The best recipe I have found for coconut shrimp. The dipping sauce is a perfect Indonesian- inspired condiment. Ketchup manis is a sweet indonesian sauce. You can substitute 3 Tbs. soy sauce mixed with 1 Tbs. brown sugar if you can't find ketchup manis in your local asian food store.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined- the larger the better
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 1⁄2 cups peanut oil (for frying) or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
Sweet Soy and Chili Dipping Sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup, manis
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried red chili pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Wash and dry the shrimp on paper towels.
- Put cornstarch, egg whites and coconut into three separate bowls.
- Dip shrimp into the cornstarch.
- Shake off the excess.
- Dip into the egg white.
- Dip into the coconut, pressing into the shrimp.
- Heat oil and fry the shrimp until golden brown ( only a couple of minutes).
- Note: The shrimp can be coated 1 hour before frying and kept in the refrigerator. After frying, they can be kep warm in a preheated oven at 300 degrees for up toe 30 minutes.
- Place all of dipping sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until fairly smooth. The mixture may also be chopped and mixed by hand.