Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are soooo good! Found this on the Smuckers web site.
Make and share this Coconut Shrimp With Spicy Apricot Dipping Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 large egg whites
- vegetable oil, for frying
SPICY APRICOT DIPPING SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup smucker's apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot mustard (or more)
- 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Butterfly each shrimp by cutting slightly more than halfway through using a small sharp knife, starting at top of the inward curve just below tail toward outward curve (do not cut shrimp in half).
- Press each shrimp open and press slightly to flatten.
- Combine cornstarch, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Place coconut in a shallow dish.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Roll shrimp in cornstarch mixture; shake off excess.
- Dip shrimp into egg whites, then press into coconut; coating both sides.
- Pour all-vegetable oil into a heavy large pot to a depth of 3 inches; heat oil to 350°F
- Working in batches, add shrimp to hot oil; cook about 1 minute, or until cooked through.
- Carefully transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain.
- SPICY APRICOT DIPPING SAUCE:.
- Combine all ingredients; stir until well blended.