Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are soooo good! Found this on the Smuckers web site.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 large egg whites
- vegetable oil, for frying
SPICY APRICOT DIPPING SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup smucker's apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot mustard (or more)
- 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Butterfly each shrimp by cutting slightly more than halfway through using a small sharp knife, starting at top of the inward curve just below tail toward outward curve (do not cut shrimp in half).
- Press each shrimp open and press slightly to flatten.
- Combine cornstarch, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Place coconut in a shallow dish.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Roll shrimp in cornstarch mixture; shake off excess.
- Dip shrimp into egg whites, then press into coconut; coating both sides.
- Pour all-vegetable oil into a heavy large pot to a depth of 3 inches; heat oil to 350°F
- Working in batches, add shrimp to hot oil; cook about 1 minute, or until cooked through.
- Carefully transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain.
- SPICY APRICOT DIPPING SAUCE:.
- Combine all ingredients; stir until well blended.