Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
- peanut oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large egg whites
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled with tails on
- 1 green onion, white and green part,chopped
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, hand-torn
Red Curry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a large deep skillet or heavy pot to 325 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, egg whites, salt, and pepper until foamy.
- Spread the coconut out in a pie dish.
- Dredge the shrimp with the cornstarch/egg white mixture and shake off any excess.
- Press the shrimp into the coconut flakes; turn shrimp over and press into coconut again to coat both sides.
- Deep-fry the shrimp in batches until the coconut is golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp to paper towels to drain.
- Arrange the shrimp on a platter, serve immediately with red curry sauce and garnish with green onion and mint.
- For Sauce: Place a small pot over medium heat and coat with the oil.
- Stir the red curry paste into the pan and fry that up until aromatic.
- Slowly pour in the coconut milk and continue to stir to incorporate.
- Add the lime juice (and 1 of the squeezed out halves for added flavor) and cook for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Pour the sauce into a nice serving bowl and serve with the coconut shrimp.
- Abou 1 cup.
In one word, fabulous!