Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A simple, flavorful recipe for coconut shrimp with a non-fat pineapple and roasted sweet red pepper dipping purée.
- 25 cocktail shrimp
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces crushed pineapple, in its own juices
- 1 small red sweet bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon mint leaf, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- For the Shrimp:.
- In a small bowl beat egg and half-and-half together
- In a separate bowl combine flour and coconut.
- Coat shrimp in egg mixture, followed by pressing it into the coconut mixture until coated fully with shredded coconut.
- In a small frying pan pour oil and heat.
- Fry shrimp until golden brown, flipping after about 60 seconds.
- For the Purée:.
- Roast the pepper in a 400 degree F oven until the skin loosens and is blackened in areas.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel skin, remove seeds and stem, and slice in half.
- Reserve half the pepper for another use, and chop the remaining half finely.
- In a saucepan using an immersion/stick blender, or in an upright blender, purée the pineapple, pepper, cilantro, mint, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Heat over medium until hot, serve immediately.