Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Taken from hawaiinewsnow.com. From Sam Choy - these sound tasty! Posted for ZWT.
- 12 jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 236.59 ml coconut flakes
- 236.59 ml panko breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, Beaten
- 236.59 ml flour
- 709.77 ml frying oil
- 236.59 ml guava, concentrate
- 118.29 ml rice vinegar or 118.29 ml white vinegar
- 118.29 ml pineapple juice
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml water
- Pre-heat oil to 350 degrees in medium frying pan.
- In a medium, mixing bowl, combine coconut and panko.
- Dredge shrimp in flour, then in the egg mixture, then in the panko and coconut mix, pressing down firmly to ensure proper breading.
- Fry shrimp until golden brown being sure not to burn. (The coconut contains a high sugar content, which may burn quickly.)
- In a separate saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, and pineapple juice. Bring to a boil and allow sugar to incorporate into the sauce.
- Add guava concentrate and allow to boil.
- Mix the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. (You may use cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce to the correct consistency. The sauce should be able to coat a spoon.)
- You may use the sauce as a dip or simply pour the sauce over the shrimp when ready to serve.
Wow, was this awesome. Another winner from Alligirl. Left the best for last, so glad I did, what a memorable way to end an event. My dh stated that this recipe produced the best coconut fried shrimp that he has ever tried. Now that is a huge compliment, coming from the picky one. If I could give you 10*'s, I would. This was a quick and easy recipe to follow; the shrimp were perfect and the sauce was to die for. I made the dish exactly as written but used guava paste instead of concentrate, (was what I had on hand) I didn't need to make a slurry, it thicken on its own. Truly an excellent recipe which I have placed in my Favorites Cookbook for 2013, kudos to you my friend. Made for Think Pink 2013.