Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I watched Paula Deen make this with her son today. I love Coconut Shrimp so I can't wait to give this one a try.
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Dipping Sauce:.
- Add all dipping sauce ingredients to a pot on a low temperature. Heat for 10 minutes, making sure you stir ingredients every few minutes.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat 2-inches of the peanut oil to 325 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the water and whisk until smooth. Let the batter stand for 15 minutes.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, toss the coconut and bread crumbs together.
- Put the shrimp into the batter. Remove the shrimp, 1 at a time, and dredge in the coconut mixture, pressing to help the coconut adhere. Fry the shrimp in batches in the hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Serve the shrimp with the dipping sauce.