Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have modified a recipe for coconut shrimp that was supposedly the same as the crab shack. This recipe has a sweet flavor and a crispy coating. My family makes it all of the time. The coating takes time, but is worth it.
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 7 -10 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- oil (for frying, if neeeded)
- Use 2 pounds large, raw shrimp - or 2 pounds small, raw shrimp.
- Peel and devein shrimp and split in a butterfly.
- Preheat deep fryer to 375 (if setting available).
- In a small bowl place the corn starch.
- In a separate small bowl, beat together water and powdered sugar, then add in eggs.
- In a large, shallow bowl combine coconut coating ingredients and mix well. I use my hands for better mixture.
- Be sure to completely coat each piece of shrimp in corn starch. This will keep most of your coating from coming off of the shrimp. (I do all three steps one piece at a time for a thorough coating job.).
- Follow by dipping each piece of shrimp in the egg wash.
- Follow by coating each piece of shrimp in coconut mixture. I like to press firmly on each piece of shrimp for a thicker coating.
- Deep fry shrimp for 3 and a half minutes each - depending on how done you prefer. (We can fit 8 to 10 shrimp - small size - in each fryer basket.) You can use more or less time if you like.
- Drain shrimp on a paper towel and serve immediately. Serving hot is better.
- I buy the bags of shrimp in the shell, but already deep split. Total time from start to finish takes about an hour.