Recipe by msjill111
I got this recipe off Allrecipes.com I've made this many times and turns out great everytime. You can use whatever kind of dipping sauce you'd like - I use Pina Colada Dipping Sauce and will post recipe for that as well. This is the best coconut shrimp I've ever had-even better than the local seafood restaurant.This was rated 5 out of 5 from 406 reviewers.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup beer (I use budlight)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 24 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined with tail on (fresh or large frozen will work-just make sure it's thawed.)
- 3 cups frying oil, for deep fryer (I use peanut oil but any kind would work)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, beer and baking powder. Mix well.
- Put other 1/4 cup flour in a bowl.
- Put coconut into another bowl.
- Hold shrimp by tail and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour.
- Dip in egg/beer batter, allow excess to drip off.
- Roll shrimp in coconut and place on baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees (175C).
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove to paper towels to drain.
- Pina Colada Dipping Sauce.
- 1/2 cup sour cream.
- 1/4 Pina Colado nonalcoholic drink mix.
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple (canned).
- 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Combine all ingrediants and chill while you prepare the shrimp.