Jaime Burris's Note:
This recipe came from a combination of recipes for coconut shrimp. I usually just eye measurements, so the ones I've listed are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp (med-large shrimp work the best)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4-1/3 cup zima citrus flavor malt liquor or 1/4-1/3 cup Sprite, can be used
- 1 (8 ounce) bag sweetened flaked coconut (I like a lot of coconut so I buy the bigger bag)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups vegetable oil (you may need more)
- 1For the shrimp: Beat your egg.
- 2Add one cup of flour, sugar and slowly mix in your Zima or Sprite.
- 3(Really, any carbonated clear citrus drink will work, but I prefer Citrus Zima.) The batter should be about the consistency of pancake batter.
- 4Now peel and devein your shrimp.
- 5I take off the tail too.
- 6I make a bit of an assembly line.
- 7First with the shrimp, next a bowl with the remaining cup of flour, batter, bowl with your coconut, and two cookie sheets.
- 8Lightly dust your shrimp in the flour, then coat in batter.
- 9Be sure to cover the whole shrimp with your coconut.
- 10Then place your shrimp in a single layer on your cookie sheet.
- 11Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to set the batter. If you don't do this it will fall off in the oil.
- 12After this, fry in a pan until lightly golden on all sides.
- 13Sauce: For this I just looked at what was in the fridge and started adding.
- 14Strain the pineapple syrup into a medium sauce pan.
- 15Reduce until about half is left. This concentrates the flavor.
- 16Now add the plum.
- 17After about 2 minutes add the sweet and sour sauce and the rest of the pineapple.
- 18After another two minutes add the sugar and the diluted cornstarch.
- 19Let simmer for 15 minutes. I combined the sauce while the shrimp is in the fridge and then let it simmer while I'm frying the shrimp.
Browse Our Top Citrus Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Citrus Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Shrimp and Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (571 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3852.3
- Calories from Fat 2389
- Total Fat 265.5 g
- Saturated Fat 65.6 g
- Cholesterol 547.4 mg
- Sodium 967.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 312.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 203.9 g
- Protein 67.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: