Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
From the All You magazine
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk (shake before opening)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Rinse and drain rice several times in cold water to remove excess starch. Melt butter in alarge saucepan over med-high heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper and shrimp. Saute until shrimp is cooked through -- 3 to 4 minutes, total. Transfer shrimp mixture to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add rice to saucepan and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly toasted -- about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, lime juice and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook till rice is tender -- about 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro, and serve topped with shrimp.
- Tips: Can use regular long grain rice. Can use light coconut milk if worried about calories.
This was delicious. I used a little extra garlic and butter to saute the shrimp. It says six servings and perhaps it is, but my husband and I ate almost all of it!