1/1 Photo of Coconut Shrimp
This is my adaptation of a Robin Miller Quick Fix recipe. She also made a homemade garlic sauce that I didn't care for, so I made these with a traditional sweet & sour dip recipe to accompany them. These turned out so delicious despite the few ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup beer (I used Sam Adams Double Bock)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more to dust
- 2 cups desiccated coconut, shredded
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil (or more)
- 1 cup sweet and sour sauce, as a dip (optional)
- 1You will need a ziptop plastic baggie,2 shallow bowls and a platter set out before you begin.
- 2Preheat a large skillet over medium-ish heat and heat enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan plus a bit extra (for shallow pan frying).
- 3In one bowl, whisk together a batter using the egg, beer, baking powder,3/4 cup flour and some salt & pepper to taste, whisking until there are no more big lumps.
- 4Place some extra flour into a ziptop plastic baggie.
- 5Place coconut in a separate shallow bowl.
- 6(DREDGE IN FLOUR):Drop all your shrimp into the baggie, seal bag, and shake until all are lightly dusted with flour.
- 7(DUNK IN BATTER):Remove from bag and shake off excess flour. Grab 1 shrimp at a time and dip into the beer mixture, holding the tail, and letting excess drip off.
- 8(COCONUT COATING):Next, drop the wet shrimp into the coconut and roll it around, pressing so the coconut sticks.
- 9Set onto a platter and repeat until all the shrimp are coated.
- 10Once all of your shrimp are coated with coconut, fry them in batches of about 6-8 in the heated oil just a few minutes, flipping once to brown & crisp both sides.
- 11Drain on paper towels and serve with sweet & sour dip.
Browse Our Top Coconut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.5
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 117.2 mg
- Sodium 324.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 12.2 g