Recipe by swissms
The coconut provides a new twist on traditional shortcakes. Serve with ice cream (vanilla or coconut) and your favorite fruit (strawberries, blueberries, or spiced peaches).
Top Review by Hwin
This is great! I made it exactly as written, except for the fact I had to cook it a few extra minutes. A toothpick still didn't come out cleanly, but I was afraid I'd burn it if I cooked it too long. Anyway, it is AMAZING. It is so much better than plain shortcake. I am definitely making this one again! Made for "Please Review My Recipe"
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Butter and flour 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides.
- Finely grind first 4 ingredients in processor.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in extract.
- Stir in dry ingredients alternately with cream.
- Spoon batter into pan. Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack 10 minutes. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn out onto rack; cool completely.
- Cut cake into 6 wedges. Serve with your favorite fruit, ice cream and/or whipped cream.