Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Crisp, buttery coconut shortbread cookies. Published in Bon Appetit, February 1993.
- 4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter two 9-inch diameter tart pans with removeable bottoms.
- Mix sweetened flaked coconut, flour, sugar and salt in large bowl with electric mixer.
- Add butter and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Divide dough between prepared tart pans and press to cover botooms. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Bake shortbreads until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes.
- Remove pan sides from shortbreads. Cut each shortbread into 12 wedges. If wedges are moist or soft, place on cookie sheet and bake until crisp, up to 7 minutes more. Cool completely. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.).
These are so good!! I love coconut and shortbread so this is an amazing combo! I made 1/2 the recipe since I only have 1 tart pan and cut them into slices like a pizza. I ended up cooking it for an extra 5 minutes on a cookie sheet and they turned out golden and crispy. Will be making these again, I cannot stop eating them! Made for 123Hits.
Delicious.......I did have to bake mine the extra time, but turned out beautifully. I think it's time to have my oven adjusted again! I've never tried shortbread with coconut, but rest assured I will be making this again. Thnx for sharing your recipe, swissms. Made for PRMR tag game.