Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can vary these light and fluffy scones by using raspberry or cherry jam. Recipe courtesy of Sunset.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry jam or 1⁄4 cup cherry jam
- In a large bowl, mix flour, coconut, oats, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk to blend. Stir all but about 1 tablespoon egg mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened.
- Scrape dough onto a lightly floured board and pat into an 8 inch round. Slide round onto a buttered 12 by 15 inch baking sheet and cut into 8 wedges, leaving wedges in place. Brush top of round with reserved egg mixture and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar. Make a 1-inch diameter depression on top of the wide end of each wedge and fill each with about 1/2 tablespoon jam.
- Bake in a 375 degree regular or convection oven until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Recut scones to separate and serve warm, or transfer to a rack to cool completely.
I dearly love scones. I can't imagine my world without them and I don't want to. Can't think why I haven't made these already but I guess it's true that good things come to those who wait. I used Splenda and no sugar added raspberry jam for a marvelous result. I had to sample one still quite warm from the oven with a cup of Ceylon tea. Perfection, A crispy crust with a soft, fluffy interior. YUM!. Made for Sweet December 2013
I was worried that somehow I messed this recipe up because my dough was so sticky. It came out lovely though. I loved how crispy the crust was and how fluffy the center came out. I bought some cherry jam to use on this and then couldn't find it so I ended up using some strawberry jelly and it still turned out wonderfully. I make breakfast for dinner once a week as it is a favorite with my kids and we were not at all disappointed by this. I am actually getting ready to whip up a bunch of these and freeze them for breakfast next week during school. Thanks for a fabulous recipe cookiedog! We really enjoyed it!
Very good scones - loved the coconut and oatmeal mix - easy to make - get the coffee on!