Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My DH loves coconut. I haven't tried these yet but hope to for Christmas. Cooking time does not include chilling time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together coconut, sugar, egg white and vanilla until combined.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Bake 7 minutes or until bottoms are lightly golden.
- Allow to cool on baking sheets. Place 8 ounces of the chocolate in a mixing bowl and chop so that the mixture forms small chunks.
- In a small saucepan, heat cream with the butter just until the butter melts and bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Pour hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in rum. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm. Place 1 teaspoon of chocolate mixture on top of each cookie.
- Smooth to form a dome shape. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Line cooled baking sheets with waxed paper. In the top of a double boiler over hot water, melt the remaining 4 ounces of chocolate with the shortening. Allow to cool for 3 minutes. Set cookie on a fork and spoon the melted chocolate over the cookie until completely coated. Place on waxed paper.
- Refrigerate until chocolate sets, about 2 hours.
GREAT treat - thanks!