Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Your basic rum pound cake with a little something special.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups cake flour, unsifted
- 1 tablespoon coconut rum
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons coconut rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- shredded coconut, if desired
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray bundt cake pan with baking spray/flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, and sugar at medium speed with electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With a wooden spoon, add flour in 4 parts, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir to combine.
- Add rum and vanilla, stirring to combine. Place batter in pan.
- Bake one hour and 20 minutes. After 40 minutes cover with foil. Let cool in pan 15 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, combine sugar and water for glaze in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add rum and vanilla, let cool slightly.
- Remove cake from pan. Brush glaze on cake, letting it soak onto cake after each application, until all glaze is used. Let cool completely.
- Enjoy now or wrap as airtight as you can. Let cake mellow for 6 weeks or so in a very cool, dry place. If you make the cake in November, it should be just great by Christmas.