Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
These are quite addicting. The flavor improves after 24 hours. You can store them for about 2 weeks. I made these for Christmas 2005, and they were very popular. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com.
- 340.19 g package vanilla wafers, crushed very fine
- 314.66 ml flaked coconut
- 236.59 ml walnuts, finely chopped
- 396.89 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 118.29 ml dark rum
- 236.59 ml flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, toss together the crushed vanilla wafers, coconut and walnuts.
- Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and rum; mix well.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the balls in the remaining coconut.
- Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
These rum balls were not only an addiction for me this holiday season - they were an obsession. So delicious! I stored them in a cool place for little over a week before eating and the rum flavour had mellowed beautifully. I would use a little less rum the next time though (maybe 100 ml rather than 120 ml?): these were just a touch too soft even after refrigeration. Could be a function of my vanilla wafers or other dry ingredients too, and anyway, it's a tiny detail in a wonderful recipe! Thank you for sharing!
I have this recipe that I have been making for years. Absolute family favorite. My daughter still thinks they are the best Christmas cookie. I'm so glad it is here just in case I would lose my recipe. Thank you Scrivener1 for posting it.
Oh my goodness - these balls are like heaven on a plate. Absolutley delicious! I made a moroccan themed dinner & was looking for something coconutty to have as a dessert - I made these and served them on a plate with balls of vanilla icecream (same size as coconut balls) and sprinkled chopped pistacchio nuts on top. It looked beautiful & taste amazing!