Recipe by Sharon123
Sri Lanka is an island country in the northern Indian Ocean off the southern coast of the Indian subcontinent in South Asia. Known until 1972 as Ceylon, Sri Lanka has maritime borders with India to the northwest and the Maldives to the southwest. There’s something so cool about dumping three ingredients in a bowl and emerging with warm, doughy flatbread that smells like a day in the tropics. This is good with curry, coconut sambal, or in the morning with butter and syrup. Gleaned from the Global Table Adventure, I had to add my touch. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup frozen shredded coconut, thawed (unsweetened)
- water, until smooth dough forms (about 1/3-1/2 cup)
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the shredded coconut to the flours, rubbing it together to break up any clumps. Mix with water until a smooth, soft ball forms.
- Shape into balls(8-10 small or 4-6 large) and coat each one lightly with vegetable oil. Let rest 20 minutes (or as long as you need).
- When you’re ready to cook, flatten each ball of dough with the palm of your hands to form discs.
- Cook on a lightly oiled pan over medium, turning once. The surface of the roti should be dotted with dark brown “sun spots.”.
- Keep them warm in a bowl or basket covered with a cloth.