From Bon Appetit, August, 2002.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Coconut rice pudding
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1For rice pudding: Bring 3 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- 2Add rice; reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until very tender, about 18 minutes. Drain if necessary.
- 3Whisk 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, eggs, egg yolks, cornstarch, and vanilla in large bowl to combine.
- 4Bring whole milk, coconut milk, remaining 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Pour over sugar-egg mixture, whisking constantly. Strain mixture back into saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Whisk gently until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Fold in cooked rice and coconut. Pour into bowl, pressing plastic wrap onto surface, and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.) Stir in cream.
- 5For macaroon crumble: Preheat oven to 350°F Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss coconut, flour, both sugars, and salt in large bowl to combine. Using fingertips, rub butter into mixture until clumps form. Spread mixture on baking sheet, patting down slightly. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool. Break crumble into bite-size pieces.
- 6Toss pineapple and mango in bowl to combine.
- 7Presentation: Spoon 1/4 cup rice pudding into each of 6 wine glasses. Top each with 1/4 cup fruit mixture. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons macaroon crumble. Repeat with remaining pudding and fruit mixture (reserve remaining pudding for another use). Sprinkle each parfait with 2 tablespoons macaroon crumble and serve.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Rice Pudding Parfaits With Fresh Mango and Pineapple
Serving Size: 1 (522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1016.2
- Calories from Fat 462
- Total Fat 51.3 g
- Saturated Fat 36.3 g
- Cholesterol 206.8 mg
- Sodium 864.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 131.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 87.2 g
- Protein 12.1 g