Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Old fashioned comfort food meets coconut...yummm....
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup medium grain rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Bring water to a boil in small saucepan; stir in rice and salt. Rduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Heat oven to 325°F Whisk eggs and sugar in medium bowl; whisk in coconut milk and lemon juice.
- Spoon cooked rice into ungreased 8 inch glass baking dish; sprinkle with raisins. Pour egg mixture over rice; stir to blend.
- Bake 20 minutes. Stir well; sprinkle with coconut flakes. Bake 15-20 minutes more or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out almost clean. Serve warm.
I made this for my hubby and I last night to warm up the house some and for a small treat. I didn't use regular sugar, instead I used Organic Blue Agave sweetner and I felt that half a cup was too much so I cut back to 1/4 of a cup as a personal choice. I also left out the rasins again a personal choice as I highly dislike rasins, and I added a tablespoon of vanilla. Otherwise I followed the recipe to a "T". My husband loved it! I thought it was good but I think next time I will cut back on the cooking time or add a splash of milk as it seemed a bit dry and not very creamy. But overall I loved the flavor and will be making this again! Good recipe.
YUMMY!! Ive made this twice and the second time I cut the sugar in half. I like it a little less desert like, more breakfasty. But either way, its fantastic!
Rice pudding is one of my favorite comfort foods (the kind like this with eggs in it, not the stovetop milk and rice stuff :) ) and the addition of the coconut milk and coconut topping just really kicked it up a notch! Delicious! I left the raisins out but otherwise made as written. Thanks for a new take on an old favorite. Made for Fall 2009 My 3 Chefs game.