Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This creamy pudding is finished off-creme brulee style-under the broiler. This is not a fast dish but it is so worth it.
- 2 cups water
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 lime peel (2-inch-long strip)
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 quart milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut up
- ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil; add stick cinnamon and lime peel.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered, for 5 minute.
- Add rice; return to boiling.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 min., or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the milk, sugar and salt. Simmer over medium to low heat, stirring frequently, for 40 minute or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon and lime peel.
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks and vanilla.
- Spoon a few tablespoonsof the hot rice mixture into egg yolk mixture.
- Stir egg yolk mixture and 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut back into rice mixture.
- Transfer rice mixture to a 2-quart square baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup coconut and the butter pieces; sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
- Broil for 3-4 minute or until coconut is golden brown.
- Serve warm.