Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I usually serve this fluffy, fragrant rice with Malaysian chicken curry - absolute heaven!
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (low fat)
- 5 pandan leaves (tied into a knot for easy removal)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup desiccated coconut (dried flaked coconut)
- 1 dash turmeric
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash ground ginger
- 1 dash chili flakes
- Combine stock, coconut milk, pandan leaves, garlic powder and salt in a saucepan.
- Simmer over low heat.
- In the meantime dry fry dessicated coconut with the spices until lightly browned.
- I usually cook the rice with the stock in a rice cooker but you can cook it in the same saucepan (covered) for about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add the dessicated coconut and mix well before serving.
- May serve with Malaysian Chicken Curry.
Tasty rice: I didn't have at home the pandang leaves, but I used 2 sweet basil and 3 curry leaves istead. I used water instead of chicken stock.
The roasted spices make this rice relly very special.
We had our nasi lemak with my recipe of "Ayam Bali With Chicken Legs".
Good recipe. I couldn't find any pandan leaves either, but I also used basmati rice. I made it with malaysian chicken curry also. Thanks!
As KitchenManiac said, simple and tasty! I used lite coconut milk, although in retrospect I wish I had used the real stuff for some extra creaminess (I love coconut!). I did have to leave out the pandan leaves as I didn't have any. I really enjoyed the touch from the flaked coconut- it gave the rice some extra body and flavor. I did substitute your spice blend with Mini R.'s "Emotional Balance" Spice Mixture (#48156) which has all the spices recommended in your recipe and a few extras, which worked wonderfully. I did add Zhoug (#57689) rather than pepper flakes. Lovely rice. I must mention- I made this with brown rice... so I used 1 1/2 cups rice, 2 cups water and 1 cup coconut milk. Thank you for a lovely unique rice! I will try to find pandan leaves and make this again soon, the real authentic way!