Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy and memorable side dish for chicken, arepas and grilled fish.You can get unsweetened coconut at Indian or specialty grocers.
- Combine all ingredients, except coconut, bring to boil, cover, and simmer low, stirring occasionally until rice is almost done (about 10 mins).
- Remove from heat and remove pan cover, stir rice.
- Fold a kitchen towel in half and place over pan, then place the pan cover over the towel.
- Let "rest" for 15 minutes.
- To serve, fluff rice with a fork and pour into a serving bowl, garnish with toasted coconut.
- *Put the coconut in a dry frying pan and over medium heat, stir constantly until the coconut is browned, but be watchful, the coconut browns quickly, then burns fast.
The flavor was good but I may have overcooked it a bit as I found the rice a bit dry but then that may just be the way basmati rice is. Thanks for the recipe I'll try it again.
Like PaulaG I made this to go with your Apricot/Lemon Chicken. This made for a great side dish, and the trick with the kitchen towel was new to me. I checked the rice at 10 minutes and it was still pretty undercooked, it took another 8 minutes to get it to the almost done stage.