Recipe by patticakes
wonderful, fragrant rice dish. it has a beautiful golden yellow color. i got this recipe from a local newspaper food column and am very grateful to chat mingkwan, who published it in the paper.
Top Review by Stacysaurus
I liked this recipe a lot. The rice was so moist and the leftovers were even better. I did not use any sugar or kaffir lime leaves since I didn't have any; instead I used some lime juice on the rice before I served it. Next time, I think I would use slightly less spices, since I think there might have been a bit too much and it was causing strange numbing sensation on the tongue (and not from the spiciness)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 3 whole kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- combine all ingredients in a rice cooker, cover and switch on.
- after 45 minutes, fluff rice and discard cinnamon stick and kaffir leaves before serving.
- if using a regular pot with lid, heat oil and add shallots.
- cook until light brown and fragrant.
- add rice and stir until well coated with oil.
- stir in rest of ingredients and bring mixture to a boil.
- reduce heat to low medium and cover pot with lid.
- simmer rice undisturbed for 10-15 minutes until fully cooked.
- turn off heat and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- fluff rice and discard cinnamon stick and kaffir leaves before serving.