Recipe by Kauaian cook
Great, easy rice dish with a little different flavor. Goes with just about anything -- especially easy as it bakes. Originally found in a recipe book called "Big Flavors of the Hot Sun".
Top Review by SVELTE
Great rice! I tweaked it some after making it the 1st time. On the 2nd attempt I used only 1/4 c chicken stock and the entire can of coconut milk (i wanted more coconut flavor). Also, after I put the rice in the oven to bake I toasted 1/2 c of shredded coconut in a pan until it was just browned. When I stirred the rice in the oven at about 15min I added the toasted coconut and finished cooking; that additional coconut milk helped absorb the added coconut and keep the rice moist. YUM! will be making this again for sure.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened canned
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat peanut oil over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Saute onion, stirring, until transparent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the rice and continue to cook and stir for one additional minute.
- Add the chicken stock and coconut milk.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour rice mixture into an ovenproof baking dish, cover, and bake at 350 for about 18 minutes.
- Liquid will be absorbed, rice will be cooked but not mushy.