Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great, easy rice dish with a little different flavor. Goes with just about anything -- especially easy as it bakes. Originally found in a recipe book called "Big Flavors of the Hot Sun".
- Heat peanut oil over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Saute onion, stirring, until transparent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the rice and continue to cook and stir for one additional minute.
- Add the chicken stock and coconut milk.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour rice mixture into an ovenproof baking dish, cover, and bake at 350 for about 18 minutes.
- Liquid will be absorbed, rice will be cooked but not mushy.
Great rice! I tweaked it some after making it the 1st time. On the 2nd attempt I used only 1/4 c chicken stock and the entire can of coconut milk (i wanted more coconut flavor). Also, after I put the rice in the oven to bake I toasted 1/2 c of shredded coconut in a pan until it was just browned. When I stirred the rice in the oven at about 15min I added the toasted coconut and finished cooking; that additional coconut milk helped absorb the added coconut and keep the rice moist. YUM! will be making this again for sure.
great rice I made this exactly as the recipe--I did rinse the rice until clear and I cooked this in the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the liquid was absobed-so I woud change the time from 18 to 45 minutes-overall -this rice as wonder and full of flavor-everyone had secongs-thanks for the great recipe-a keeper!