- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice or 1 1⁄2 cups white basmati rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 pinches saffron threads (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 slender scallions, including the greens, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds (can use a mixture of black and white)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the rice. Bring 2 cups water and the coconut milk to a boil with the saffron and turmeric. Add the rice and 3/4 teaspoon salt, cover the pan, and cook over low heat until the rice is done, in about 20 minutes.
- Using a fork, gently toss in the scallions, season with pepper. Scatter the sesame seeds over the rice the toss again. use the rice hot from the pan, pressing it into a cup first, then unmolding it or simply scooping the rice onto the plate.