Recipe by carmel housewife
This EASY recipe makes the rice especially creamy and delicious! It is a great accompaniment to Caribbean cuisine, kabobs or grilled chicken.
Top Review by LoriInIndiana
This was really good! I have been a sort of coconut kick here lately and enjoy having the opportunity to use it in ways that I wouldn't normally think of it. In addition to the coconut, the cherries are a special touch too and I loved them. This will be perfect to serve with a grilled main dish and I look forward to doing so this summer. Thanks for helping out our menus. = ) Made and reviewed for PAC Spring 09.
- 7 ounces shredded sweetened coconut
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 16 ounces water
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Spread coconut flakes and pine nuts onto large cookie sheet. Place in oven and watch closely until coconut is looks toasted. Transfer to a bowl.
- On stove, bring water and coconut milk to a boil. Slowly mix in rice, butter, salt and dried cherries stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10-16 minutes. Quickly check at 12 and 14 minutes to see if rice is done.
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork and add coconut and pine nuts. Serve.