Prep 8 mins
Cook 25 mins
To serve with curries and stirfrys
- 400 g long grain white rice
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100 g desiccated coconut
- 1 lime, zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 600 ml water
- Wash and drain teh rice well.
- peel and finely chop the onion.
- Heat oil over medium heat and add the onion, cinnamon stick, 3/4 of the coconut and lime zest. Gently fry, without browning, until the onion is soft.
- Add the rice and salt and mix well. Add the water, mix well and bring to the boil.
- Cover tightly, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, and cook for 20 minutes without uncovering for any reason.
- Toast the remaining 1/4 of the coconut in a dry pan until browned.
- Remove rice from heat and let stand, without uncovering for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with fork.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.