Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I had some leftover coconut milk after making a recent Indian dish and thought, "What the heck; let's add some to the rice as it cooks!" What came out is now a real favorite of mine!
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch saffron (about 5-6 threads)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- In a pot that has a tight-fitting lid, over high heat, add the rice, olive oil, salt, and saffron. Stirring with a wooden spoon, heat for 2-3 minutes until a few rice grains begin to brown on the edges. OPTIONAL: You may want to add a few ounces of shredded coconut at this stage.
- Being careful to avoid flare-ups and spill-overs, add the chicken broth and coconut milk to the hot pan. It will sizzle and bubble vigorously!
- Stir to loosen any rice on the bottom or sides of the pot and reduce the heat to low. Put on the lid and cook for 13 minutes.
- When 13 minutes are up, turn off the heat and let the covered rice sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff with a fork before serving with any Asian, Polynesian, or Indian dish.
Wow!!! I'll definitely be making this one again and again. :) It really bothers me when someone gives a recipe a rave review, then they say, "However, I substituted this, this and this..." and the list goes on for 5 more pages, lol. I DID make a substitution, but it was only to switch the amount of broth and coconut milk (I used 1 c. coconut milk and 3/4 c. broth). Thanks for a great recipe David!
This was good! :D
Awesome! I made this exactly as directed and the proportions are perfect. Thanks for this great recipe!