Recipe by hannahactually
from "this can't be tofu!" by deborah madison.
Top Review by jimsgirl73
Quite tasty! I was a little dubious about the combination of flavors, but they work well together. I wasn't completely true to the recipe: Substituted olive for peanut oil; Out of thai curry paste so I used red pepper flakes and regular curry powder; had to use dried basil, not fresh. I think fresh basil would make it even better! Thanks for sharing recipe!
- 1 small butternut squash
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, sliced
- 1 large lime, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 -2 teaspoon thai red chili paste
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces coconut milk
- 1 (10 ounce) box silken tofu or 1 (10 ounce) box soft tofu
Directions See How It's Made
- peel squash with a vegetable peeler, halve and scoop out the seeds, then dice into 1/2-inch cubes. you should have 3-4 cups.
- warm oil in wide soup pot. add onion, squash, garlic, ginger, lime zest, and turmeric. cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. add chili paste.
- add 1/2 cup water and scrape pot to dilute paste, then add broth and 1/2 tsp salt. bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer for 20 minutes. meanwhile, dice tofu into small cubes and prepare cilantro and basil.
- add coconut milk, followed by tofu. simmer until soup is hot again and tofu is heated, about 5 minutes. taste for salt, and add more if desired. add cilantro and basil, and squeeze juice from lime. serve immediately.