- 1 cup dried red beans (small)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small dried red chili
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetarian broth or 4 cups water
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick and debris from beans then rinse and drain them.
- In a 6 quart pot combine beans, onion, garlic, chili, coconut milk, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are almost completely soft when pressed, 75-90 minutes.
- Stir in rice, cover and cook over low heat until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. (add a little extra broth or water if needed to prevent sticking.).
- Discard chili. Add salt to taste.