Recipe by xpnsve
Also known as Lamingtons, these dense, moist cakes are made even more delectable by being bathed in raspberry sauce and rolled in a drift of snowy coconut.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, soft
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar (superfine castor sugar, if you have it)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 drops coconut, flavor (optional)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry jam, seedless preferred
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup or 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut (macaroon coconut or flaked coconut, finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the butter, sugar, coconut milk powder, baking powder, salt, and flavorings until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg whites and egg a bit at a time, scraping the bottom of the bowl between additions.
- Whisk the flour and starch together, then add to the batter alternately with the milk.
- Place a generous 1/4-cupful of batter into each cup.
- Bake the cakes for 20 to 24 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Warm the jam and syrups or water together.
- Place the coconut in a shallow pan. Spread a thin layer of jam over the cooled cakes, then roll in the coconut to coat completely.
- Place on a baking sheet to allow the jam to set up.