Recipe by Topher
This is a really easy cake recipe. I little vanilla icing over the top makes it all the better.
For the cake
- 300 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated lemon zest (from 3-4 lemons)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups raspberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and line a 28cm springform cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a mixer, whisk the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and light.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each is added.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the butter mixture. Fold in the coconut and the sour cream.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely and then store in an airtight container.
- Raspberry Syrup:.
- Combine the sugar, vanilla bean, lemon juice and water in a heavy-based sauce-pan. Over a high heat, bring to the boil without stirring.
- Continue to boil the sugar till the large bubbles have reduced to tiny bubbles (about 10 minutes). Add the raspberries and stir rapidly until combined. Bring the syrup back to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Allow the syrup to cool then pour into an airtight container until ready to use. Pour over the cake at the last minute.